HOW TO GROW SOME WHEELS:
(Left = before, right = after)
2 words: heavy squats! Learn to embrace the pain because it's well worth it... (learn technique first!) One of my leg routines:
Always extended warm-up to open up the hips, activate lower back muscles, dorsiflexion of the foot, hamstring warm-up.
1) heavy squats, work up to your 5 rep Max over the course of 2 warm-up sets and 4 working sets. You should feel like you are dying on the last 2 sets!
2) leg extensions, squeeze the shit out of your legs, to failure on each of the 3 sets. Bite through the lactic acid, Dorian Yates once said in an interview "pretend they are holding a gun to the head of your wife or your dog."
3) close stance leg press, high reps, 20-30 reps, 2 sets
4) lying leg curls 3 sets, 8-10 reps, focusing on squeezing, to failure on all 3
5) stiff legged deadlifts 12-15 reps 3 sets
6) seated leg curl 8-10 reps, 3 sets, to failure on all 3
Hamstring and quadriceps stretching afterwards and eat a shit ton of food. Next 2 days do some low intensity cycling to help clear the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)